Student Medical Co-op Plan
The Student Medical Co-op Plan is for undergraduate and graduate students at POSTECH. Students should pay the fee selectively at the time of tuition payment.
Students who pay the fee in the applicable semester are granted with membership from the starting date of the semester.
Students in the undergraduate and graduate programs pay 22,000 KRW each per semester and foreign students enrolled in the plan pay 66,000 KRW each per semester. Students who lose their student status due to changes in academic status automatically lose their membership, but in the event of leave of absence due to illness, the membership is retained until the end of the applicable semester.
Both Korean undergraduate and graduate student members are eligible for up to a maximum of 1 million KRW in reimbursement for his/her medical care expenses charged by the National Health Insurance Service. Foreign student members are eligible for a reimbursement of up to 80% of medical costs. Upon the death of a member, 1 million KRW is granted for funeral expenses. For medical expense reimbursement request, the regular and special request Clause 1 (Subparagraph 1 of Clause 3 of Article 20: medical service or treatment worth 200,000 KRW or more) shall be made within 1 month from the date of the medical services in the applicable semester. The special request Clause 2 (Subparagraph 2 of Clause 3 of Article 20: surgery, hospitalization and a series of continued medical treatment of the same disease over 10 times in 30 days) shall be made within the semester in which the treatment begins. The general request and special request are categorized as follows.
General Request (200,000 KRW or less)
In case of requesting the reimbursement amount not reaching 200,000 KRW, a member must submit the medical expense reimbursement application form along with receipts issued by medical institutions to Undergraduate Student Affairs. Provided, however, that additional evidentiary documents may be requested depending on cases.
(Cash or credit card receipts must also be submitted)
Special Request (200,000 KRW or more)
- When is the reimbursement paid?
As long as there is not a special reason involved, the reimbursement shall be paid to the applicant’s account in approximately 15 days after the date of application submission. Payment is made twice a month due to collecting applications and verifying the amount of medical expenses.
- Scope of Medical Expenses
The scope of medical expenses is limited to the expenses for medical treatment and prescription of diseases and injuries insured by medical insurance; in case of infectious disease designated by law, the reimbursement covers only the first diagnosis to verify the case, not follow-up treatment.
- Medical expense reimbursement shall not be paid as per the Student Medical Co-op Plan Agreement in the following cases:
- 01.Skin illnesses that do not interfere with daily life, including freckles and moles.
- 02.Dental diseases requiring expensive materials such as dental prosthesis, dentures and braces.
- 03.Ophthalmological treatment for the purpose of vision correction such as glasses, contact lenses and more.
- 04.Medical surgery and treatment for cosmetic purposes.
- 05.Addiction to narcotics and psychoactive drugs.
- 06.Expenses for purchasing medical aid devices such as assistance device, prosthetic hand/leg, hearing aid and artificial eye.
- 07.Congenital illnesses that do not interfere with daily life.
- 08.Vaccinations (except for immunization medicine to treat diseases such as tetanus, etc.)
- 09.Incidents or illnesses like traffic accidents or an act of violence for which the third party is liable for the costs (except in the case where the third party is deemed incapable of payment).
- 10.(Deleted August 29, 2013)
- 11.Childbirth and regular medical check-up due to pregnancy.
- 12.Accidents due to drunk or unlicensed driving.
- 13.In cases where safety devices are not properly applied in a traffic accident or safety accident.
- 14.Routine medical check-up (except for examination for the purpose of treatment).
- 15.Other exceptional cases under the Korean National Health Insurance Act.
- 16.Other cases that the board of directors deems inapplicable for reimbursement
- Regular request is defined as cases where a member should pay more than 10,000 KRW for one-time treatment or services among all cases not belonging to the special request cases.
- Reimbursement request must be made within 1 month from the date of medical treatment; Application request is unavailable once the term has expired.
- When requesting for reimbursement for a motorcycle accident, a copy of driver’s license must be attached with application.
- Reimbursement is not available for motorcycle accidents when not wearing helmet and drunk and unlicensed driving.
- When requesting for reimbursement, please prepare a bank account number with Woori Bank for receiving money.
(When applying, in addition to receipts for medical treatment and prescription, cash or credit card receipts must also be submitted.)