* Link : http://engage.washington.edu/site/PageNavigator/Bioengineering/Summer2012/Summer2012_KimAward.htmlPast BIOE Chair Yongmin Kim honored as UW Medicine Inventor of the YearYongmin Kim’s commitment to saving lives and focus on solving clinician’s real-world problems have driven his innovations for 30 years.Now, the man who worked with his research group to pioneer more than 85 inventions leading to 60 patents, put inventions into industry practice with 25 licenses, and helped commercialize the technologies, will be hailed as the 2012 Inventor of the Year by the UW School of Me..
* Link : http://khnews.kheraldm.com/kh/view.php?ud=20120828001045&md=20120829085525_9President Kim Yong-min emphasizes balance between education and researchPOHANG, Gyeonggi Province ― When Professor Kim Yong-min returned to Korea last year after nearly 30 years on the faculty of the University of Washington, he had a self-imposed mission: to build a truly world-leading university in Korea.In less than a year, the president of Pohang University of Science and Technology has already made strides toward that goal. The school topped Times Higher Education’s list of the world’s b..
* Link : http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/04/world/asia/whos-the-next-mit.html?_r=1Who’s the Next M.I.T.? By JOYCE LAUHONG KONG — There is one element that links the schools that top university rankings: They tend to be old.Last week, two new rating systems — from Times Higher Education and QS World University Rankings — looked exclusively at schools less than 50 years old for the first time.Fifty may be middle age in some circles, but is positively adolescent for a university. Times Higher Education claims that its list “provides a unique insight into who the futur..
* Link : http://view.koreaherald.com/kh/view.php?ud=20120531000840&cpv=0South Korea’s Pohang University of Science & Technology, also known as POSTECH, has topped the rankings of the world’s top 100 universities under 50 years old.The Times Higher Education, a weekly British magazine based in London, published on Thursday the list that features institutions from 30 countries.POSTECH, which was founded in 1986, headed the list with a total of 71.8 points, followed by Switzerland’s Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne with 66.2 points.The Hong Kong University of Sci..
* Link : http://www.koreaherald.com/national/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20120517001024President Lee Myung-bak vowed Thursday to provide policy support to develop the country’s basic science research.“We have so far copied and followed advanced technologies,” Lee said in an international symposium celebrating the opening of the Institute for Basic Science in Daejeon, some 150 kilometers south of Seoul.“In order to make it into the advanced, top-class nations, we have to make a history of creation based on basic science and fundamental technologies,” he added, noting that ..
* Link : http://www.koreaherald.com/national/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20120508001126Ten of Korea’s top scientists, including chemist Kim Ki-moon from POSTECH and biologist Kim V. Narry from Seoul National University, have been named to lead the state-run research center for basic sciences.The Institute for Basic Science announced the list of its directors after four months of assessment.The IBS was established in Daejeon in 2011, as a part of the government’s 5.2 trillion won science belt project, with the aim of developing human resources through basic scientific research.A total of 10..
Pohang Accelerator Laboratory Selected as One of the Heritages of Korean UniversitiesThe Kyosu Shinmun, under the slogan “The Heritages of Universities, the Future of Korea,” awarded 13 heritages including Pohang Accelerator Laboratory that present great academic performance, contribute to society and were selected from 49 heritages of 44 universities nationwide. The award ceremony was held at the Seoul Press Center on April 30.
* Link : http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/special/2012/05/181_110143.htmlTo cultivate global leaders, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH) opened an information technology laboratory at its campus in Pohang, North Gyeongsang Province, Monday.The facility is called the POSTECH Future IT Innovation Laboratory (i-Lab).In collaboration with the Ministry of Knowledge Economy, the i-Lab aims to produce researchers who will become leaders in the field of global information technology.The central government, provincial and municipal authorities, POSTECH, the Korea campus of the St..