A new student exchange agreement has been signed with the University of Tokyo (UT), Japan. President Yongmin Kim visited Japan on the 13th of December to sign the MOU with UT President Junichi Hamada to promote academic exchange and research collaboration between their universities. The agreement underlines a student exchange program to begin in the fall semester of 2012. The University of Tokyo, Japan’s most prestigious university, was founded in 1877 as the first national university. An alma mater of 15 of Japan’s Prime Ministers and 4 Nobel Prize winners, UT hosts 10 faculties, ..
* Link : http://www.koreaherald.com/national/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20111030000213300 students including Chinese and Japanese expected to join program every yearMajor universities in South Korea, China and Japan will launch a joint degree program next year as part of efforts to expand academic exchanges, the Education Ministry said Sunday.The Education Ministry and the Korean Council for University Education announced 10 South Korean colleges and universities chosen to partner with Chinese and Japanese universities under the Campus Asia program.The program is an Asian version of the Erasmus Mundu..
* Link : http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2011/09/117_95313.htmlAn international team of scientists led by a Korean professor said Friday that a rise in air-borne contaminants causes pollution levels in the ocean to go up, which eventually will affect marine life.According to Lee Ki-taek, a professor of environmental science and engineering from the Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), the level of nitrate in South Korean waters has soared as much as eight-fold in less than two decades.The nitrate level in waters off the country's southern island of Jeju jumped fro..
* Link : http://www.koreaherald.com/national/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20110925000272A new era in the relationship with Brazil began when agencies in Korea and Brazil committed their resources to a “partnership without borders.”Brazil and Korea’s first Joint Science and Technology Committee Meeting set up the fundamentals for synergistic collaboration.For Brazil Ambassador Edmundo Fujita, the joint committee meeting paved the groundwork for a new phase in the relationship, where the knowledge and innovation potential of both nations can be integrated.“Brazil and Korea are enj..
* Link : http://www.koreaherald.com/lifestyle/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20110908000884From as early as 2014, anti-cancer stem cell treatment will be available through a joint firm established by Pohang University of Technology and Science and Catholic University of Korea, the schools said Monday.According to the joint venture “PoCaStem,” the treatment “GX-051” involved injecting adenovirus that prompts the anti-carcinogenic treatment gene, IL-12M, into a stem cell. The substance is reported to induce immune reactions to tumors and has been proved effective on metastatic cance..
* Link : http://www.koreaherald.com/lifestyle/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20110830000635Kim Yong-min, president-to-be of POSTECH (Pohang University of Science and Technology), has been honored with the 2011 William J. Morlock Award given by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, the university said Tuesday.Established in 1960 by the family of William J. Morlock, the award is given semi-annually to people who have made innovative applications of electronic techniques and concepts to solve biomedical problems.Kim was recognized with his ..
* Link : http://www.koreaherald.com/opinion/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20110713000882With Korea part of an ever more globalized world...Balancing globalization and reality in the lecture hallLectures conducted in English have become commonplace at Korean universities in the last few years. It has been reported that universities in Seoul conduct between 20 and 40 percent of their lectures in English. A desire to keep in step with globalization and bump up Korean universities’ place in world rankings have been cited as the rationale behind the push for more English lectures. But the move toward t..
* Link : http://www.koreaherald.com/business/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20110628000753The most valuable economic resources are human resources, and Korea needs to improve its use of its most precious assets.A survey released last week reported that the average worker in Korea retires in his or her mid-50s. This is much earlier than their Western European OECD counterparts, who usually retire at 65 or older, and for whom even early retirement is usually 60 or older.The survey results raised an issue that has puzzled me for a long time: Why do so many Korean workers retire in their mid-50s? This is tru..