* Link : http://www.koreaherald.com/opinion/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20110713000882With Korea part of an ever more globalized world...Balancing globalization and reality in the lecture hallLectures conducted in English have become commonplace at Korean universities in the last few years. It has been reported that universities in Seoul conduct between 20 and 40 percent of their lectures in English. A desire to keep in step with globalization and bump up Korean universities’ place in world rankings have been cited as the rationale behind the push for more English lectures. But the move toward t..
* Link : http://www.koreaherald.com/business/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20110628000753The most valuable economic resources are human resources, and Korea needs to improve its use of its most precious assets.A survey released last week reported that the average worker in Korea retires in his or her mid-50s. This is much earlier than their Western European OECD counterparts, who usually retire at 65 or older, and for whom even early retirement is usually 60 or older.The survey results raised an issue that has puzzled me for a long time: Why do so many Korean workers retire in their mid-50s? This is tru..
* Link : http://www.koreaherald.com/opinion/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20110426000627In the wake of the tragic suicides of four KAIST students in recent months, some suggested that study in English at KAIST puts undue stress on students, contributes to academic underperformance, creates communication barriers between students and professors, and encouraged the suicides.In the past several weeks, I reflected on my English-only teaching experience at POSTECH. I asked what would happen if Caltech or MIT set up a Korean branch and offered courses in English only, except for language-specific courses? I p..
A new cooperative partnership has been established with the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST).President Sunggi Baik visited HKUST on April 7, 2011, to sign agreements for university-wide cooperation and a joint Ph.D. degree program with the HKUST School of Engineering.In accordance to the student exchange clauses of the cooperation agreement, POSTECH undergraduate students have HKUST added to their choice of study abroad institutions starting Spring Semester 2012.Candidates of the POSTECH-HKUST joint Ph.D. program will have co-advisors at both POSTECH and HKUST, and spend ..
Professor Sung-Kee Chung (Chemistry) Awarded Chungjo Geunjung Medal and Professor Ja Kang Ku (Chemistry) Selected as Recipient of Prime Minister Award Prof. Sung-Kee Chung was brought in to POSTECH when the university was founded, and he served at various positions at POSTECH from early 1987 until he retired from his career in 2011. He also served as the third president of POSTECH. Prof. Chung is a renowned chemist who produced eminent achievements in bioorganic & medicinal chemistry and was selected as the recipient of the Chungjo Geunjung Medal for his great contributions in advancement ..
* Link : http://www.koreaherald.com/opinion/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20110303000592Korean college system needs market forcesThe following was contributed by Daniel E. Suh, professor of economics and finance, Graduate Program for Technology and Innovation Management, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH). ― Ed.In the first class of my investment course, I always toss out a question to my students: Have they ever made any investments?For a moment, the class usually remains silent. I tell them I know that they have all, in fact made an investment. Then a student or two understands wh..
* Link : http://www.koreaherald.com/lifestyle/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20110210000863Peter S. Kim, 53, president of Merck Research Laboratories, will become an honorary doctor of science at Pohang University of Science and Technology.POSTECH said Wednesday that it would award an honorary doctoral degree in science to Kim during the graduation ceremony on Friday. He will be the third honorary doctorate of science at the university.The second-generation Korean-American earned his B.A. at Cornell University in 1979 and Ph.D at Stanford University in 1985. He served as a member of the Whitehead Institu..
POSTECH Featured on The Chronicle of Higher EducationOn Jan. 6, POSTECH was featured on The Chronicle of Higher Education, an American newspaper specializing in higher education.The article covers POSTECH's developmental strategies through the reinforcement of research competitiveness and globalization of the university campus. http://chronicle.com/article/To-Raise-Its-Global-Profile-a/125806/To Raise Its Global Profile, a Korean U. Shakes Up Its CampusBy David McNeillPohang, South KoreaThe most important number at the Pohang University of Science and Technology is 28. In case there is any dou..